- Know your weaknesses
- Conquering temptation: Know the place(s), time(s), people, & mindsets (boredom, anxiety, anger, etc.) that lead to temptation.
The more you respect women the more of a man you’ll be
- A man sees himself in relation to how he treats the opposite sex.
- I come to know myself by how I treat women.
- A real man is more concerned about what he can give rather than what he can get.
Master of your passions / Passionate about being the master
- Knowing how sin works: Temptation usually begins with an amnesia of that which is holy. During temptation, we tend to forget about the promises we’ve made to combat sin. When we sin, we are no longer our authentic selves. When we fall to habitual sin our will becomes weak and resistance can seem nearly impossible. We may feel “possessed” in the sense that sin has taken possession of us. Our thoughts are turned to worldly pleasures and we push the sacred aside. Temptation appears many times uninvited when we least expect it. To entertain temptation is to host an unwanted guest. This guest will not be satisfied until it has robbed you of your valuables: your peace, your freedom, and your strife for holiness. If unheeded, this unwanted guest may become master of your household. Be weary not to let your guard down: “Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into” (Mt 24:43). Sin will remain master so long as power is given to it. To combat sin we must begin by knowing ourselves. When am I most susceptible to sin? Be the master, not the slave.
Are you willing to work for holiness?
- What concrete steps would you be willing to make to avoid sin?
How will the devil try to trip me up today?
- The devil attacks us in the subtlest ways. What thought or image will he use to trip me up today? Reject it immediately and offer a prayer.
- Get up, and remove yourself from a potentially sinful situation.
Real men want to be Christ
- The definition of what it means to be a man is found in the Son of Man.
- No one is manlier than Jesus Christ.
- The cross is the epitome of manliness.
- “This was the correct mean, the middle ground in which I would find health, that I should remain ‘in your image’, and in serving you be master of my body.” – St. Augustine, Confessions
Be a leader not a follower
- Go against the culture. We live in a culture of “me”. Live to serve others and don’t buy into the lie. Serving others is much more fulfilling than serving the self.
Use spiritual weapons
- Go to confession and receive the Eucharist regularly.
- The Rosary: Our Blessed Mother crushed the Serpent’s head. Enough said.
- Ask your guardian angel for assistance. He’s not just there to help you cross the street.
- Prayer of St. Michael. He was the first to defeat Satan. You can’t go wrong invoking this soldier of God and Prince of the Heavenly Hosts.
Love God above all
- “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment” (Mt 22:37)
- This is perhaps the most important thing about being a real man. If God is the primary object of our love, He who is perfect, how much more loving will we be towards those who are imperfect?
- Loving God shows us how to love others.
- The greatest love a man can give is to be a Christ unto others. Punto!